My Guide Website?
Hormigas Town Ant Experience
The leafcutter ants (better known as Zompopas) are a fascinating species, organized and able to carry more than 20 times their body weight. Find out more about them on this interesting tour.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Costa Rica:If youʻre booking your trip to Costa Rica last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- From San Jose: Orosi Valley & Lankester Garden Day Tour
- Poás Volcano, Coffee Plantation & La Paz Waterfall Gardens
- La Fortuna: Sarapiqui River Jungle Safari Float
- From San José: Pacuare River White Water Rafting Day Trip
- San Jose One Day: Sarapiqui Class 2&3 Rafting Adventure
- Discover the Zompopas leafcutter ants
- See how they create a unique fungus
- Spot the ant queen and discover interesting facts about this unique species
DescriptionYou will be able to appreciate close-up how the ants cut the leaves with their jaws and move around their colony. During the tour, there is also the opportunity to see how they grow fungus and you'll catch a glimpse of the queen. Under normal circumstances it is almost impossible to see their way of living so clearly but the tour supplier's unique system makes it possible to do so. During 1-hour, you'll learn about the society and model of the ants, their methods of transporting the leaves, the importance of the queen and much more.
- It is recommended that you wear sturdy closed shoes